With the first edition of the research “Generation Z: image and brand value”, carried out in 2019, we discovered many unexpected peculiarities about this generation. We realized that it is a whole different world, with unique characteristics, ever evolving and always to be discovered.
Almost two years later it seems to us that the time to “listen again” to Generation Z has come. This time frame was full of events of strong impact especially on the younger ones. And during this time, part of the Gen Z has become a real consumer target, even for the most significant types of purchases in a man’s life.
We are now curious to verify whether the distinctive traits that we had identified can be confirmed or they have instead returned or even if they have transformed into something different. This applies in particular to the weak relationship that the Gen Z showed to have with the brands.
This time we also decided to widen the perimeter of the survey to some European major Countries: Germany, France, Italy, Spain, Uk and Switzerland.
What have we discovered so far about Gen Z and what we still want to study?
- It is a variegated generation, which includes different age groups, with substantial differences in attitudes and behaviors. Within a range of a few years, important differences emerge, both due to the degree of maturity and to the continuous and incessant changes stimulated by the society. As an example, the first phone of a 16-year-old was a smartphone while a 20-year-old had a mobile phone, and this formed them differently.
- Open and inclusive: this generation rejects stereotypes of gender, origin and religion. Since the early school years, it has experienced and played with peers of different ethnic groups. The opening (or rather the not closing) to other individuals is a small matter for the Gen Z: it is just the normal.
- Openness, exchange, welcome, friendship, true relationships, are treats of their plurality of visions and values. They are anything but individuals flattened on the screens, so much that they know very little about the structure and economy of the web world, which they use a lot.
- Relationships are oxygen, loneliness is not well tolerated. Friends can be real (tangible, few) or “fake” (virtual, many): but the Gen Z knows very well how to distinguish them: they are not as naive as we paint them.
- The Gen Z school time has been prolonged compared to previous generations and the entry into the world of work has been delayed. The work, in the usual versions and canons of stability, seems not very seductive, while precariousness is less scary, at least for now.
- Even the management of the (little) money available reveals an unexpectedly more far-sighted, calm approach to life … with more medium / long-term objectives. That’s why it is necessary not to waste and maybe save money.
- It is a generation free of ideologies: unlike the previous generations, who at a young age showed a greater propensity to take sides, these boys are characterized by the impossibility of recognizing themselves in any political ideology. Their attitude towards politics is in fact characterized by skepticism and perplexity, as happens among adults.
- It is the first generation far from any form of generational conflict. Its judgment on the parents – good references for them – is surprising. However, the mistake committed by the previous generations is clear and well known: the environmental legacy is a “big trouble” for who is only a teenager today.
- Sustainability is the front that unites the whole Gen Z. It is a well-known and deeply felt theme, a lifestyle that becomes a real territory of recrimination towards the generations before.
- In general, the natives of Gen Z record an intensity of knowledge of brands almost always below that of the other generations. The lack of knowledge of brands is the effect of the self-administrated use of media, which involves little TV, a lot of web and actually favors verticality and “niche” knowledge
Source: “Gen Z: image and value of the brand” | Eumetra 2019 | Mean scores: Min=1; Max=10
We can say that spotting the differences between ages was the starting point that led us to think about this generation in 2019. Now our goals are to check which elements can be declared permanently different, to understand how the CVD impacted on the Gen Z and finally to check what is the real value that brands can rely on among them.
The second edition of the research allows companies that are looking with interest to Gen Z to:
. know a complex, constantly evolving and always more relevant target;
. find out how to recover the relationship between GenZ and their brand;
. get in touch with Gen Z through the most effective themes, codes and means of communication.
→ Do you want to know more?